Henri,

Jakarta commons did vote on this issue, though somewhat informally

From: Henri Yandell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 13:52
To: Jakarta Project Management Committee List
Cc: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: Re: Fwd: [VOTE][PROPOSAL][RESULT] Promote HttpClient to Jakarta
Level

The PMC don't need to vote on it, just to be aware of it, for the Chair to
tell the board in his notes and to ratify the move. However, some may feel
that the vote should take place on commons-dev and not on
commons-httpclient-dev.

I'm +1 for the move, so not too bothered at where the vote has happened.

Hen

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Adrian Sutton wrote:

> Hi all,
> Recently the Commons HttpClient project voted on a proposal to move
> HttpClient out of Jakarta Commons to become a full Jakarta subproject.
> The result of the vote is below.  It's our understanding that the
> Jakarta PMC now needs to vote on the proposal as well.
>
> Please advise us of any step in this process we're missing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Adrian Sutton.
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Adrian Sutton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: 29 March 2004 8:47:16 PM
> > To: Commons HttpClient Project
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: [VOTE][PROPOSAL][RESULT] Promote HttpClient to Jakarta Level
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > The vote has passed.  We will put forth the proposal below to the
> > Jakarta
> > PMC to move HttpClient to a Jakarta level project.  The vote details
> > are
> > below:
> >
> > +1 votes -
> >     Adrian Sutton [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >     Oleg Kalnichevski [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >     Michael Becke [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >     dIon Gillard [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > +0 votes -
> >     Ortwin Glück [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Vote thread -
> > http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=commons-
> > httpclient-de
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]&by=thread&from=681919
> >

> > (0) RATIONALE
> > HTTP is the main protocol used today on the internet.  Although the JDK
> > includes basic support for building HTTP-aware client applications, it
> > doesn't provide the flexibility or ease of use needed for many
> > projects.
> >
> > The current package in Jakarta-Commons is a widely used implementation
> > with
> > a strong community behind it.  The size of it's community and it's
> > project
> > has significantly outgrown the commons project and a move to a Jakarta
> > level
> > project would provide better support for that community and for the on
> > going
> > development of HttpClient.
> >
> > (1) SCOPE
> > The project shall create and maintain a Java library implementing the
> > client
> > side of the HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 protocol, as defined in RFC 1945, RFC
> > 2616 and
> > RFC 2617.
> >
> > HttpClient also supports the following RFCs.
> >
> > * RFC 2109 for HTTP state management mechanism (Cookies) - an upgrade
> > to RFC
> > 2965 is planned for a future version of HttpClient
> >
> > * RFC 2396 Uniform Resoruce Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax
> >
> > * RFC 1867 Form-based File Upload in HTML
> >
> > The package should:
> >
> > * Have an API which should be as simple to use as possible
> > * Be as easy to extend as possible
> > * Provide unconditional support for HTTP/1.1

> [...]

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  Access
to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized.  If you are
not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it
is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any
attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.