If my memory does not fail me, the general sentiment was to stick to Bugzilla if HttpClient gets to be a top level project in the Bugzilla database (in order for us to be able to define own releases and milestones independently from Commons).

That sounds about right.

IMO Bugzilla has been serving us well, but I am really getting discouraged by the lack of support for it. This is not the first request regarding Bugzilla management that received no response of what so ever. I understand that our infrastructure folks have got enough things to worry about but one would at least expect some sort of response within a week. I am afraid there's simply no one interested in maintaining Bugzilla, which makes me think about Jira as the only viable alternative

I agree. Bugzilla works well for us, excepting the current problem with us being a commons sub-project. Let's give them a little more time, and if we still don't hear anything we can look into moving to Jira.

Mike