I like bleeding edge code, I'll try it as soon as you have it ready.
I am now using the current HEAD and setting the timeout as you
suggested.
What is the difference between connection and socket timeout, and is
connection timeout even needed if I set a socket timeout?

Thanks,
Otis

--- Oleg Kalnichevski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Otis,
> Nowhere in your code do I see you set socket timeout. Connection
> timeout
> determines the time HttpClient spends waiting a connection to be
> established. The connection timeout does not affect socket I/O
> operations.
>
> Try this:
>
> _client.getHttpConnectionManager().getParams().setSoTimeout(5000);
>
> Besides, we are just four bugs away from the first HttpClient 3.0
> alpha
> release when we formerly invite the users to review the new API. We'd
> be
> more than interested to have your feedback.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Oleg
>

> On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 19:50, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using HttpClient from CVS HEAD from exactly 1 month ago (May
> 6,
> > 2004).  Although I set the time-out to 5 seconds, I noticed that it
> > does not always work, and because of that my application often
> hangs
> > indefinitely.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm not using the API correctly.
> > Here are the relevant portions of my code:
> > (HttpResponse is my class - a simple 'struct', nothing else)
> >

> > HttpClientParams clientParams = new HttpClientParams();
> > clientParams.setParameter(HttpClientParams.USER_AGENT, "xxx");
> >
> > _client = new HttpClient(clientParams);

_client.getHttpConnectionManager().getParams().setConnectionTimeout(5000);