Since you appear to be passing a custom HttpState object to the
HttpClient#executeMethod these lines of code have no effect of what so ever on the
method's execution

client.getState().setAuthenticationPreemptive(true);
client.getState().setCredentials(realm, host, upc);

Try this instead

httpState.setAuthenticationPreemptive(true);
httpState.setCredentials(realm, host, upc);
status = client.executeMethod(hostConfiguration, method, httpState);

HTH

Oleg

Sorry, it seems I 've made a mistake when showing you my example code in my prevous mail. I'm calling
client.executeMethod(method);
and not
client.executeMethod(hostConfiguration, method, httpState);
in my code.

Don't understand why the Authorization header isn't being sent in the first request as expected when setting setAuthenticationPreemptive(true)

Any ideas?

Regards
Lee Francis