Beautiful, I can integrate this easily into our library.

David Hay wrote:

I don't believe that HttpClient handles GZip or any other kind of decoding of the
reply content.  That's up to the application using the library.  Here's what we do to
handle the case when the server doesn't report the content type correctly:

       if ( contentType == null || contentType.equals( "content/unknown" ) ) {
           // Let's look for gzip data another way if we can
           if ( urlStream.markSupported() ) {
               urlStream.mark( 2 );
               int id1 = urlStream.read();
               int id2 = urlStream.read();
               urlStream.reset();

               // These numbers are magic. See the RFC 1952 Gzip File
               // Format Specification located at:
               // http://www.gzip.org/zlib/rfc-gzip.html
               if ( id1 == 0x1F && id2 == 0x8B ) {
                   // we've got gzip data
                   contentType = "application/x-gzip-compressed";
               }
           }
       }
       if ( contentType != null && contentType.startsWith(
"application/x-gzip-compressed" ) ) {
                urlStream = GZIPInputStream( urlStream );
       }