Hi Mike,

deprecate "getConnectionsInUse()",
replace with "getConnectionsInPool()" ?

Introduce something like
"garbageCollectConnections()" or
"deleteIdleConnections()"
for people who really want to throw
away the closed connections ?

I'd stick with your option 1 until there
is a case where the other behavior is
actually needed.

cheers,
  Roland

Michael Becke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
01.06.2004 03:14
Please respond to "Commons HttpClient Project"

        To:     "Commons HttpClient Project"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Connection Accounting Problem

Hi Satya,

Sorry for the slow response...  The number of connections in use does
not get decremented in this case as no connections are actually being
destroyed.  The connection manager still holds references to the same
number of connections after closeIdleConnections() is called.
connectionsInUse is meant to detail the number of connections that have
been allocated, not the number that are open.  Given these semantics
the behavior is correct I believe.

The next question is if this makes sense.  I see two possibilities here:

  1) Document getConnectionsInUse() to better describe the current
behavior.
  2) Change closeIdleConnections() to delete closed connections.  This
will require changes to the IdleConnectionHandler, so that we know
which connections are closed.

Any suggestions or preferences?

Mike