>>(3) HttpClient handsomely beats HttpURLConnection when streaming out
entity enclosing requests (POST, PUT)<<

Hi Oleg,
I am a bit skeptical about your test#3 for POST. I am doing POST myself
but the performance of HttpClient is not better than
java.net.HttpURLConnection. I have posted another email for that on the
list. Can you please double check that or provide some information about
what did you exactly do for that test.

Thanks,
Zulfi

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 8/20/2004 11:54:52 AM >>>
> I do not remember which earlier releases I used. I only remeber that
it
> did not have the rcX attached to it. I am not sure if it matters now.
> guess, the only thing we are concerned here is whether we can get
> HttpClient performance better than JDK or not. If yes, then how do
we
> get it? I guess some other folks had a similar problem before.
Wondering
> if a solution to the problem was found or not?

Zulfi,

You can see the full results that I got at the following location:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=httpclient-commons-dev&m=109300858528261&w=2

The short summary

(1) What I see is that HttpURLConnection tends to perform better by a
constant delta of 1-3ms for those methods that produce smaller (below
5kb) response entities.

(2) For methods producing larger response entities (over 50kb)
HttpClient tends to perform better

(3) HttpClient handsomely beats HttpURLConnection when streaming out
entity enclosing requests (POST, PUT)

(4) HttpClient 2.0.1 with the stale connection check disabled performs
better than HttpClient 2.0-alpha3.

Hope this clarifies the situation

Oleg

> Hope this helps you in understanding the problem.
>
> -Zulfi

pre-release-candidate
> you are referring to, and what exactly you mean by "but it is still
> slower than using JDK-1.4.2". Do you actually mean using
> HttpURLConnection? Raw socket? Something else?
>
> I'll run a few tests of my own to see if I get significant
difference
> in terms of performance between HttpClient 2.0alpha3, 2.0.1, CVS
HEAD
> (post-3.0a1) and HttpURLConnection
>
> Oleg

JDK-1.4.2.