Hi Eric

Personally up to now I have not had too much of a hard time using
commons-logging with Websphere 5.0 and 5.1. Maybe I was just lucky

You may want to fork off the HttpClient 2.0 branch and host it on the
SourceForge, for instance. HttpClient 2.0 is stable and will not be
actively developed in the future. So you should not have too much
trouble keeping the forked version in sync with the official one. The
drawback of this approach is that once HttpClient 3.0 is out you may
have to repeat the whole exercise again. So, probably a better solution
would be to develop a simple converter, which would walk through the
source code and replace all the references to commons-logging with log4j
or jdk14. Such a converter could be used against any other
commons-logging dependent library or application, so it might be a
worthwhile investment.

We'd happily include this utility into the contrib package

Just a bunch of random thoughts

Oleg