Hello Rudy,

unfortunately, you did not tell us the URLs you are actually accessing.
My guess is that you take them from a web page, and that one of them
is a relative URL starting with / instead of http://...

cheers,
  Roland

"Hentzen, Rudy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
28.09.2004 14:12
Please respond to
"Commons HttpClient Project"

"Commons HttpClient Project" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc

Subject
RE: Proxy

Hi,

I have created a method that carries out post commands and returns the
response body.  It is called doPostMethod and my usage is shown below:

   if (isProxySetUp()) { //sets up the proxy
      // Create a method instance of amazon.co.uk site.
      responseBody = doGetMethod(sellYourStuffURL); //works fine
      String reponse = new String(responseBody);
      if (reponse != null) {
        HashMap ISBNPostValuesMap = new HashMap();
        NameValuePair bookISBN = new NameValuePair("sdp-sai-asin",
"1852271493");
        //NameValuePair bookImage = new NameValuePair("absmiddle", "
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/common/buttons/find-it.gif
");
        ISBNPostValuesMap.put("ISBN", bookISBN);
        responseBody = doPostMethod(enterISBNURL, ISBNPostValuesMap);
        reponse = new String(responseBody);
        if (reponse != null) {//does not complete the block below error
shown below
          ISBNPostValuesMap = new HashMap();
          bookISBN = new NameValuePair("sdp-sai-asin", "1852271493");
          NameValuePair bookCondition = new
NameValuePair("sdp-sai-condition-type", "NEW");
          NameValuePair bookComment = new
NameValuePair("sdp-sai-condition-comments", "Brand New");
          ISBNPostValuesMap = new HashMap();
          ISBNPostValuesMap.put("ISBN", bookISBN);
          ISBNPostValuesMap.put("Condition", bookCondition);
          ISBNPostValuesMap.put("Comment", bookComment);
          responseBody = null;
          responseBody = doPostMethod(enterSalePriceURL,
ISBNPostValuesMap);

          System.out.println(responseBody);
          //reponse = new String(responseBody);
          //System.out.println(new String(reponse));
        }
        else {
          System.out.println("RESPONSE FAILED");
        }
      }

Running the above and other code I get the error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: host parameter is null
                 at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.setHost(HttpConnection.java:228)
                 at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.SimpleHttpConnectionManager.getConnectionWithTimeout(SimpleHttpConnectionManager.java:146)200
                 at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java:161)
                 at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:437)
                 at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:324)
                 at
testhttpclient.HttpClientTutorial.doPostMethod(HttpClientTutorial.java:119)
                 at
testhttpclient.HttpClientTutorial.main(HttpClientTutorial.java:46)

But removing the code that produces the error makes the error go away. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rudy