Hello,

I would like to perform a simple request against a HTTP server in an application that will be deployed to customers with a wide variety of network configurations. The application won't be deployed as an applet or within Java Webstart, but will require JDK 1.4.2+ as the platform. The target audience are all Windows users.

I've searched the HTTPClient archives and also the forums on Sun's Java Developer site. The only useful links were:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=30&thread=364342

I get the following error when trying this out:

java.io.IOException: Proxy service provider is not yet set
at com.sun.java.browser.net.ProxyService.getProxyInfo(ProxyService.java:40)

...so I assume this only works within Webstart or an applet.

Is there any way I can *automatically* retrieve the user's browser settings, even if requires using JNI or JNIWrapper for example ? At least the proxy host and port, even better if it can automatically enable login (or even provide me with enough info to use the NTLM features of HTTPClient, if required by the customer's environment).

Manual proxy configuration generates *way* more support costs at present than anything else in the project. It's annoying to be disadvantaged in this way, when most native Windows applications "just work"...

Thanks in advance,
Chris Brown