On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Jon Davis <w...@konsoletek.com> wrote:
> "Does the contract (private use only for photos) implicitly agreed to by
> Giles when he bought a ticket to the Olympics invalidate the CC-BY-SA
> license" -- In my recollection, the answer is no.  It is similar to someone
> taking a picture where it says "NO PHOTOGRAPHY".  They might be breaking
> someones rules, and could risk getting thrown out, but the picture is still
> theirs to keep.  The IOC could sue the photographer for breach of contract
> (which would be hilarious to watch the PR beating they get for that), but
> once again, that doesn't effect us.  In short, contracts can be broken, laws
> can't.

Yes, but the CC-BY-SA license is also (usually understood as) a
contract.  I don't think the IOC is arguing that Giles doesn't own the
copyright to his photos.  But agreeing to terms and conditions is
different from walking past a "no photos" sign.  Contracts can be
broken, but contracts can also affect other contracts.

> And not that I need to remind this crew, but the CC license is
> non-revocable, so the IOC is too late.  The photographer licensed his image
> under CC, and that is the end of it.  You can change the license back on
> Flickr, but that doesn't mean it isn't still legally available under CC.
> That is the _entire_ reason we have the Flickr Reviewer bot.

The IOC's argument, I imagine, would not be that the CC license should
be revoked, but that it was never valid in the first place since, by
agreeing to a prior contract, Giles had given up the right to enter
into certain other kinds of contracts for the photos he took.  I don't
think that's right, but it seems more complicated than typical cases
of against-the-rules photography and attempts to revoke licenses.

-Sage