On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Petr Kadlec <petr.kad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 February 2011 19:04, bawolff <bawolff...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Note that another slight disadvantage of the current state of affairs
>>> is that sites using InstantCommons (e.g. the OpenStreetMap wiki) are
>>> currently able to use CopyrightByWikimedia images (well, more than
>>> just ?able to use?, they can do that inadvertently; they cannot simply
>>> distinguish the non-free files from the free rest).
>>
>> Whats being proposed here doesn't directly fix that, since if you
>> setup multiple foreign repositories (at least how the code currently
>> work), other people using you as a forign repository can get to
>> foreign files through you. However, it'd probably make the coding
>> required to exclude such files significantly easier.
>
> Of course you will always _be able to_ get to the files (if only
> through screen-scraping or whatever). The point is that currently, the
> moment you enable InstantCommons, you get non-free files together with
> the free ones whether you want them or not. If we move non-free files
> away from Commons, the InstantCommons configuration should keep using
> only commons.wikimedia.org as a repository, which would solve the
> problem.
>
> -- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

I think you misunderstand what I mean.

What i understand the proposal to be:
*Make meta a shared repository for Wikimedia wikis, put logos there
instead of commons.

As it stands, instant commons looks for any image on commons, and any
image in any shared repository that commons uses (which is currently
none, but if meta was added as a shared repository for commons, it
would be included in instant commons too).  So separating them like
that does not immediately solve that issue (although it would probably
make it easier to solve in the future).

As an example, many people who want fair use images use EnWikipedia as
a ForeignAPIRepo (technical name for instant commons, but you can
chose whatever wiki you like). They get both Wikipedia's images, as
well as commons' images, since Commons is a shared repo used by
enwikipedia.

Cheers,
-bawolff