Hi Ryan,

Op 22-2-2011 21:06, Ryan Kaldari schreef:
> Speaking of friendliness on Commons, does CategorizationBot really need
> to post notices on both the File pages and User Talk pages? Maarten?
Yes. People tend not the notice things left on file pages. This way they
do notice.

> This seems overly aggressive to me.
Aggressive? What's aggressive? The fact that a user is kindly invited to
help out or the message itself?
A user is asked to help out because we're always low on people helping out.
The message is at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Please_link_images . If you
don't like it, be bold and make it a better message.

My categorization project started somewhere in 2008. I was tired on
stumbling upon uncategorized files. A lot of great photo's, but
impossible to find. So first I wrote something to find all uncategorized
files and tag them. Next step was to try to find categories for these
images. At some point I started notifying people to try to get them
involved. I don't know if it helped, what I do know is that the number
of uncategorized files is pretty stable around (100K) and that my bot
helped categorize over 200K files (probably even more). The full
statistics are at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Multichill/Categorization_stats

The exact workings of the bot and frequently asked questions about the
bot are at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:CategorizationBot . I
try to update this page based on the questions I get. Might be worth
reading.

I don't consider it very friendly to dismiss my work as aggresive ;-)

Maarten