I talked to the legal department about this specific issue a while back. Their opinion, which I agree with, is that restoration involves 2 legal principles: sweat-of-the-brow and threshold-of-originality. And while the U.S. doesn't recognize sweat-of-the-brow, there are certainly cases where restoration passes the threshold-of-originality (even in the U.S. where the bar is high). When I asked for an example, they suggested that colorizing a black-and-white movie would probably pass the threshold of originality and thus create a new copyright. Regarding Adam's restoration of Left Hand Bear, I think it is unclear how a U.S. court would interpret it, but I would be willing to give Adam the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Ryan Kaldari