From: commons-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:commons-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Federico Leva (Nemo)
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:35 PM
To: Wikimedia Commons Discussion List
Subject: [Commons-l] Google Maps/Panoramio vs. Commons

There's been some outcry lately about the removal of the Wikipedia layer from
Google Maps, both by wikimedians (mainly on wikimedia-l) and Google users +
wikimedians (on Google's support forums).

Someone speculated that the Wikipedia/Commons layer was not popular enough
because it was too hidden, but the more I think about it the more I'm convinced
that Google has now built Panoramio to be strong enough and wants to reinforce
it further with its Google Earth/Maps
integration: every time you check a map, you are provided with Panoramio photos
which not only complement Street View but also provide a very nice tool for
geolocation, compensating the rather poor semantics of many Google maps
compared to well-annotated areas of OSM. If you check Panoramio photos, they
have impressive amounts of views.

So, has anyone done a comparison of how well Commons is doing compared to
Panoramio, for the part where their scopes intersect? How are their comparative
popularity, coverage and quality going? What are the critical features which
convince users to upload content to Panoramio, what do we lack?

Nemo