Hi Nemo,

Op 13-10-2013 11:09, Federico Leva (Nemo) schreef:
WikiTeam has just finished archiving all Wikimedia Commons files up to 2012 (and some more) on the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/wikimediacommons So far it's about 24 TB of archives and there are also a hundred torrents you can help seed, ranging from few hundred MB to over a TB, most around 400 GB. Everything is documented at <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mirroring_Wikimedia_project_XML_dumps#Media_tarballs> and if you want here are some ideas to help WikiTeam with coding: <https://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/issues/list>.
Nice, this was really needed for https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Right_to_fork (although I hope that never happens). I wonder who is going to use it and for what. Are you keeping statistics so we can get an idea what gets downloaded and how many times? Would it make sense if the WMF seeds some (or all) of these torrents?

Maarten