I tried

<state id="something">

<datamodel>
<data name="foo"/>
</datamodel>

<transition event="something" cond="${Conversation.request == '1'}">
  <assign name="foo" expr="'bar'"/>
  <send ... Namelist="foo">
  </send>
</transition>

</state>

<data> are not capturing any data at all.  Context is storing Conversation
obj which is accessible throughout.

I looked through all your tests and don't see any <doc-name>.xml that test
out the log or EL.  In addition, your SCXMLTestHelper seems to only support
JEXL.

Suggest test of datamodel, var, assign and send.  Not sure on what has
changed but temporarily will work with old codebase.  :(

/mike