Commons-logging 1.1 indeed solved the problem via eclipse --> debug
--> classpath --> add external jars, I put in commons-logging 1.1 and
it worked. Glad I had a 1.1 option ;-) .

Thanks!
Robert

On 6/22/06, Simon Kitching <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Robert,

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 19:40 -0300, robert lazarski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been googling all day and I'm stuck. I'm trying to run a junit
> test case in eclipse 3.1 calling an axis2 web service running in
> jboss, that depends on HttpClient. I get this stack trace:
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
>       at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.<clinit>(HttpClient.java:65)
[snip]
>       at junit.framework.TestSuite.runTest(TestSuite.java:208)
>       at junit.framework.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:203)
>       at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:478)
>       at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:344)
>       at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:196)

> I'm running 1.04, but tried to upgrade to 1.1 with no luck. I tried
> butting the commons.logging jar under jdk1.5.0_03/jre/lib/ext - no
> luck. I tried this, still no luck:
>
>     protected void setUp() throws Exception {

Thread.currentThread().setContextClassLoader(ClassLoader.getSystemClassLoader());
>     }
>
> I'm out of ideas. Any help very much appreciated. I just need this
> junit test case to run in eclipse.

This kind of problem is what the recent logging-1.1 release was aimed at
dealing with.

JBoss does some odd things with commons-logging. Junit and eclipse also
do some odd stuff with classpaths. As a result, things can indeed get
quite confusing. I suspect that the 1.1 release will solve the problem
if you can just find the right place to deploy it.

If you set system property
  org.apache.commons.logging.diagnostics.dest=STDOUT
then logging 1.1 will generate output to stdout. If you don't get any
output, then you have probably not found the right place to deploy the
jarfile.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that, but it's a complicated
scenario you've got.

Regards,

Simon