Install Subversion on your machine.  Www.tigris.org I believe.

I used the following in console and source checked out and built just fine.
Check out and build latest source (from console or DOS prompt - assuming
Subversion is installed):

-------------

cd /some/desired/directory
svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/scxml/trunk
scxml
cd scxml
ant

-------------

If you do those 4 steps in either DOS or Shell, it should build just fine.
I am using JDK 1.5 and although I use XALAN, it is not in my classpath for
these steps and seems to compile just fine with Ant.

-------------

VERSIONS I'M RUNNING:

mikebookpro:/etc/httpd mike$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-112)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-64, mixed mode, sharing)

mikebookpro:/etc/httpd mike$ ant -version
Apache Ant version 1.6.5 compiled on April 11 2006

mikebookpro:/etc/httpd mike$ svn help
usage: svn <subcommand> [options] [args]
Subversion command-line client, version 1.3.0.