Yeah, I forgot that Map doesn't extend Collection, and this would make
sense as to why I get the behavior when I extend anything besides Map.

> The idea of traversing such
> collections in XPath expressions is a central feature of JXPath.  This
> allows XPath expressions to locate objects in complex object graphs.

I agree that this is useful, however I'm kind of surprised that it
doesn't allow you to work with the collections in this way.

> Perhaps you can warp the collection in another object to hide it from
> XPath.

That's a good thought too, however in my case Bar also contains Bars, so
I would have to go and wrap all of these which will end up being a mess.
Otherwise that would be a good work-around.

I'm probably going to end up temporarily giving up on this, but if
anyone has any ideas for a work-around please let me know.  Maybe in the
future I'll look into messing with the JXPath library.

Thanks again,
Jerry