Thanks-- I'm using Tomcat 5.5.17... I guess one question is how do I log the logger? There must be some way to see where it is looking for the appropriate properties file. I imagine that commons-logging classes can see the log4j classes in the same classpath and then start looking for the properties file in a few places...

   Thanks, Jason

Dennis Lundberg wrote:
Jason Novotny wrote:

Hi,

I have a webapp and I have deployed common-logging-1.1 jar and log4j-1.2.11 in my WEB-INF/lib directory of my webapp. I have also place a log4j.properties file in my WEB-INF/classes directory. However, when the webapp runs, I see only INFO level is being logged. It all worked fine when I placed some line of the form

PropertyConfigurator.configure(url);

which forces a log4j to use the supplied config file, however I didn't think this was necessary--

Any help is greatly appreciated!

   Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason

We have been using a setup just like yours on Tomcat for a long time. Recently we switched from log4j.properties to log4j.xml and just place the xml file in WEB-INF/classes as well.

What container are you running your application on?