I don't know pool well, but what version are you using - Pool 1.3 was
released in April and there were quite a few bug fixes:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/pool/release-notes-1.3.html

...so (if you're not already using that version) maybe upgarding might
resolve your issue.

  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/pool/downloads.html

Niall