Henri Yandell wrote:
On 1/25/07, David J. M. Karlsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm calling an EJB on a WebSphere 5.0.2.x server from a WebSphere 6.1,
which is throwing (serverside) an Exception which is extending
NestableRuntimeException.
I'm using commons-lang 2.1 on both sides.

All Serializable classes involved (in my app) declare serializationUID
constants.

Still, I get this serialization error:

org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge :
Mismatched serialization UIDs : Source (RepId
RMI:org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableDelegate:4F998DA78EFC2530:EAEF728564560A6A)
= EAEF728564560A6A whereas Target (RepId
RMI:org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableDelegate:4F998DA78EFC2530:F68F1455DDEE96BB)
= F68F1455DDEE96BB  vmcid: IBM  minor code: 89A  completed: No
        at
com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.read_value(CDRInputStream.java:2105)

I've checked the websphere environment - and it does not seem to include
any of the commons-lang classes.

Have anybody else experienced this?

Just this issue a couple of days ago:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBUTILS-36

"For instance, IBM JVM 1.4.1 has a different way of calculating
serialVersionUID for Serializable class that does not have
serialVersionUID defined than JVM 5.0."

Do you have different VMs at each end?
Yes - this is the underlying problem - as the computed (due to no explicit serial uid defined) serializationID on both sides differ.

The solutions are:

1) Deploy the applications on the same JDK level (thus computing the same serial uid) 2) Upgrade to commons-lang 2.2 which declares serial uids (at least for these classes/what hits me - haven't checked all).

I'll guess 2) will break compability with clients using commons lang < 2.2, but when the upgrade is complete the problem should disappear "for ever" (until possible changes will force a change of serial uid, which is probably not likely in the 2.x series).

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com