Hello, I am a new here.  I have used the Commons Daemon a few times in the
past with success.

Currently I find myself maintaining some legacy Java code which is invoked
from a jar file, e.g.

$ java -jar theapp.jar

My goal is to run this app under the control of jsvc.  I can conceivably
extract the Class-Path and Main-Class info from the jar manifest, build a
more traditional invocation script from it, then port that script to a
jsvc-controlled invocation.  But if I can avoid that, I would prefer to do
so.

I read the daemon FAQ, looked at the source code (arguments.c), scanned the
last year worth of subject lines in commons-user, and read the JIRA issues
containing the keyword "jar".  I found no evidence that the daemon can be
run against a jar file as the Java VM can.  Presumably such an invocation
against a jar file would put the burden on jsvc of extracting the Class-Path
and Main-Class information from the manifest.

It's hard to imagine I am the first to ask about such an option, and the
fact that it seems not to exist suggests to me there is some good reason one
would not want to do it.  But I ask anyway:  can jsvc be run against a jar
file?  If not, is it a crazy idea?

Thank you for your time.

--
Mark