Neil

I just read your previous email. If you do have an idea in regards to an elegant solution to the problem, feel free to create a JIRA issue and patch and I will review. But I really would only consider putting something in if a) it's elegant and clean and (b) if commons-net is really the odd one out amongst FTP clients, and is the only one that cant handle this. But as stated before, this really does seem to be a server config issue.

Thanks
Rory

Rory Winston wrote:
Hi guys

Steffen/Paul, thanks for your excellent input on this. I didnt get a chance to look at this myself (and I didn't remember when reading the email that the IP address was actually a reserved private address).

Neil,the guys are correct - this is a server configuration issue - its not even a fault with the server per se, just with the server's configuration in regards to NATed clients. There is no real fix for this, and I would be hesitant to introduce some kind of hacky solution. Your case is the only instance I have seen of this so far.

Thanks
Rory

Steffen Heil wrote:

Hi

If the server is running on a private IP, how can you expect it to know
anything except the private IP?

Administrators that make SFTP-Servers available to the public internet, NEED
to be aware of that problems and as such NEED to configure the server
accordingly. Otherwise they are not doing their jobs. SFTP-Servers do have configuration options for this. (Like -P <ip> for pure-ftpd for example.)

You wrote:
Given the discussion below, we need a solution that allows the user to force an override for the IP address used for passive connections.

I wrote:
If at all, give the use a change to optionally overwrite used IPs.

Which matches... And solves the problem without introducing broken logic. If you are ONLY connecting to that server, don't ask at all. You know how to
connect.

Regards,
  Steffen