At a guess, the Oracle code is trying to cast the connection to
OracleConnection or some such. It's not an OracleConnection as DBCP
wraps that with its own Connection implementation.

Try doing:

adTemp = ArrayDescriptor.createDescriptor("ARR_VARCHAR",
((DelegatingConnection)con).getDelegate() );

with an import of:

import org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingConnection;

Hen