On 12/06/07, Jason Novotny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If I have a URL with a ^ in it I get a failure:

 [java]
http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=^DJA&f=sl1d1t1c1ohgv&e=.csv
    [java] Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid uri

The character "^" is not valid in a URI

'http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=^TIE&a=&b=&c=&d=&e=&f=&g=&ignore=.csv':
Invalid query
    [java]     at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.<init>(HttpMethodBase.java:222)
    [java]     at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.GetMethod.<init>(GetMethod.java:89)

But the link normally works fine if I type in my browser... do I need to

Because the browser escapes it.

do anything special to escape it?

You can hexify it as %5E.

Thanks, Jason