--- Jörg Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Wabner, Thomas (EXT) wrote on Friday, June 22, 2007
> 2:52 PM:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > I cannot find a "nice" way to get the version
> information from a jar
> > filename with the help from commons-lang.
> >

> > I have a filename like
> commons-lang-2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar and will have
> > follow information's:
> >

> > Basename: "commons-lang"
> >
> > Versionstr: "2.1-SNAPSHOT"
> >

> > Any suggestions are very welcome ;-)
>
> Why should there be support in c-l? This is a pure
> Maven convention. Look into the manifest. At least
> Maven-generated jars have proper values and your
> chance to get proper info from other jars increases
> also.

Awhile back I posted on commons-dev a link to some
code I extracted from Ant to support pulling version
info for a class loaded from a jar.  It might or might
not be suitable for inclusion within the commons but I
never got much feedback from it:

http://people.apache.org/~mbenson/sharedfiles/ImplementationVersion.tar.gz

-Matt