Vernon,

I am travelling now so can't double check, but if I recall correctly
what I saw in the stack traces, it looked like the client (tomcat, I
assume) was successfully connecting to the database, but the
validation query was failing,  so unless there are database user-level
problems, most likely the problem is not tomcat config or permissions.
If you have access to the database logs, you should look at those.
You should also verify first that the database has been properly
initialized. The best would be to find and execute the validation
query directly on the database from the hsqldb command line client,
assuming you have access to that.

Phil