Hi,

I’ve been playing around with the Commons Chain of Responsibility implementation and have a question or two. Maybe a chain is not the right approach, I’d appreciate any suggestions.

I’d like to make a Chain that retrieves an XML document, transforms it, and emails the results. 3 Commands as I see it. Each of these Commands requires information that is independent of the others. XML file’s URL, XSLT transformation’s output path, SMTP server etc…

I understand that the preferred method of retaining state is to use the Chain’s Context. Yet in this situation is seems inflexible, as the class instantiating the chain will be tightly bound to it because it would have to anticipate each link and what each link’s Context requirements are.

What I would like to do is use a catalog.xml file to store the chain, and add the appropriate attributes to the given command element.

i.e. <command name="EmailUser" className="com.bs.email.Emailer" smtpServer=”xyz.abc.com” .../>

In order to achieve such functionality, what would I have to do, set the appropriate rules in the ConfigParser’s Digester?

i.e. config.getDigester().addSetProperties(“/catalog/chain/command”,”smtpServer”,”smtpServer”)

I would prefer to do this via the Emailer’s constructor, but it appears that it’s not possible and one must use getters and setters.

Thank You.