BAD MSG:
silence does not mask a certain sort of inertia.
However bear in mind that HTTP is small, has very easy and almost
'objective' external requirements in the form of RFCs and had a relatively
small code base. Even the rewrite of 1.3 to 2.0 to address some fairly
well known issues is/was relatively simple compared to some of the major
engineering and dust being through around elsewhere.

Now if this would be all - no worries. However I personally think that the
transition from that one HTTP crowd to one for HTTP, one for APR, etc, etc
was already showing that something is a bit amiss in the scaling; even
though the group of peopple is nearly overlapping; long term goal, feature
creep in APR, versioning issues between APR/HTTP and even getting release
notes out with some sort of coordination with php/perl treading-aint-work
warnings, required a fair amount of noise in order to get the coordination
they required.

I cannot help to think that a much smaller group of people across those
projects whould have done better than the current cabal keeping things on
track simply by being a smaller focal point who know that they cannot
dodge the issue.

However it is not here where I see the major issues exposed right now -
but when scaling up and over to:

> > It is the jakarta/xml ones which worry me; as they are so much bigger and
> > deal with some much more code; a lot of which does not have a nice RFC or
> > clear set of requirements to easily compare options or provide guidance.
>
> Yes, many agree with you in this vision and I think Sam's proposal goes
> in the direction of creating an evolutionary escape path or, at least, a
> way to have spread the word about things for those who won't make it
> here on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Right.

> Moreover, I don't think a PMC with a hundred of members will behave any
> worse than a PMC with just a few of them.

And I do think it is; as a PMC of a hundred members will never act quicker
or more focused/quick as a group of 5-10 people recruited out of those 100
who have a task (say investigate a license issue) and know that there are
a 100 people looking at them to get it done.

Now having said that; perhaps we need to cycle those 5-10 people much more
ofter; as I agree something is amiss. But I think making them a 100 is not
the right track - and that is where I see the main flaw.

And I also think that too large a cabal will simply create 'chair's whose
job is much bigger than a volunteer can handle. It is that task I'd like
to split among 5-10 people. As ultimately the board will continue to chase
chairs to get things done. And it is easier for a chair to prod a few
people nearby than to galvanize the populus as a whole for the sort
of boring tasks asked.

> I really don't think that it can be worse than we have today, so +1 from me.

Aye - as I said - short term it is our best option - I think; and if I
where a jakarta-head I'd certainly give it a +0 or +0.5.

Dw