Jeff Turner wrote:
On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 04:05:24AM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

I still disagree. The rules of revolutionaries *MUST* (I repeat *MUST*!!!)
protect the identity of the project more than they protect the freedom of
innovation of the single developers.

More than anything else, the fact that two different codebases were *released*
with the same name at the same time, pissed many people off (myself included)
and created a lot of problems in the users.

Like?  How many users do you see complaining because they have a choice?

Personally, I find Tomcat 4's startup time is too slow for Forrest/Cocoon
development, so if it wasn't for 3.3.x, I'd be using Resin or Jetty.

You could speed up TC 4 startup time by :

1) comments mbeans support in top of server.xml :

<!--

<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"
debug="0"/>
<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
debug="0"/>

-->

2) Remove the admin and manager webapps which also take some time
   to initialize.

Regards.