Greg Stein wrote:
On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 05:08:19PM -0500, James Taylor wrote:

You are stating that:

 0) download a working copy [this is done only once]
 1) go to a page
 2) edit it
 3) save it
 4) commit the page

is comparably simple with

Feh. I said no such thing. I said that if you wanted to do multiple page
edits without spamming the change-notification mailing list, then SubWiki
makes it possible [by following the steps you suggest].

In no way did I say it was "comparably simple" to standard Wiki editing. Of
course not... jeez, just how small do you think my brain is? :-)

Sorry, I clearly overreacted. Apologies :-)

 1) go to a page
 2) edit it
 3) save it

and I disagree.

If it means I can edit the page in my fancy editor of choice rather than a dumb web browser then it is much simpler.

And standard tools and standard commit emails and standard access control
and all kinds of other stuff.

Point taken and appreciated.

The (only?) beauty of a wiki is its dead-simple editing cycle.

I believe sub wiki also has a TTW editing interface. No reason you can't have both. Because it uses subversion to hold pages, the interface is nicely seperated from the data store.

Yes. You definitely cna edit pages via the web site. That *is* what a Wiki
is all about. Not the stupid formatting rules.

    http://test.webdav.org/wiki/Welcome

And "both" is actually incorrect. You have four ways to view the content and
three ways to edit the content:

  1) read/write via the Wiki itself
  2) read/write via working copies
  3) read/write via WebDAV (new from sussman and jerenkrantz)
  4) read via web browser

This implements separation of concerns and everybody knows I'm happy when I see that :)

Sure, it is not ready for primetime, but I like the idea a lot.

The code is ready, but I don't have all the "standard" formatting rules and
macros in there right now. There are a number of things that people expect
which just aren't in there.

This is not a problem as I think people might add those if needed.

And Python is much easier than Perl for java people anyway :)

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>