On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:46:16AM -0500, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 09:34, Greg Stein wrote:
> > Bah. The Board can easily change the scope if there are better ways to
> > organize the software that we [the ASF] produce.
> >
> > Existing charters shouldn't get in the way of What Is Right.
>
> "What Is Right" ?
>
> So that's going to be the board deciding what is right? What project's
> themselves want is not right enough? That is frightening. What happened
> to project self direction/determination?

People have said this in followups, but I'll specifically clarify my intent.

    If the projects at the ASF are hampered by their charters from doing the
    right thing, then they can simple ask the Board to get them changed. It
    is an easy process for the Board.

There is no reason for you to suspect anything wonky from me, and your
attitude towards my email is quite bewildering. To be honest, your response
and the rest of the followups don't sit well with me at all.

The Board exists to help projects in their work. We exist to protect the ASF
to ensure that it will continue to exist, to help projects. Our intent is to
let projects do whatever they feel is right and correct, subject to the
constraints of the operation of the ASF and to what we feel may be injurious
to the overall health of the ASF.

I do think you're unfairly calling the Board a tool of Sam. Speaking for
myself, that is a negative input to my own decision-making process.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/