Now I've gone from digest to individual emails, keeping up might be
easier...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 27/02/2003 03:08:17 AM:
> From: Leo Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> yep. So don't drop the binary until you have a) policy, b) desire and c)

> an ok to make apache into
> a redistribution point of third-party software. Just b) doesn't cut it.

The issue for the ASF is that we already *are* distributing third-party
software via cvs and viewcvs.

jdom, w3c stuff like dom2, jaxp, JLex, tidy etc....

> Licensing policy is quite tricky and lots of things need to be done
> before the ASF should even consider
Now there's an understatement.

> For example, the docs started at
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Licensing should be made
> into an authoritive source on
> www.apache.org that unambiguously answers "yes" or "no" with regard to
>
> "can we link to software under license X?",
And what does 'linking' mean for languages used by the ASF, e.g. Java,
PHP, Perl, scripting languages like Javascript?

> "can we redistribute software under license X in source form and/or
> binary form?",
> "how do we provide these licenses when we redistribute or link to
> software under license X?",
> "what other steps doe we take when we redistribute or link to software
> under license X?"
e.g. credits, details in documentation, etc.

> Not sure if your project can distribute JUnit? Then don't, even if that
> makes life terribly inconvenient.
That seems to be the opposite of most projects current stance.

> sourcecode under its own license. Yes, binary, but it is the best first
> step and it solves a real need.
Just to play devils advocate, what is that need, Given that there current
is a repository distributing ASF binaries with their license.

This is not a facetious comment, but a desire to explore what the need is
for an ASF-blessed repository.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au