On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> > Could you also upload the jars, in the binary directory ? It would
> > simplify
> > the life of those who want to automatically download dependencies.
>
> gladly but first a couple of questions:
>
> 1. is this someone that we should now be doing for all releases (in which
> case, i'll add the instructions to the how to release documentation i've
> been working on)?

Since tomcat has a download target - I am particularly interested by the
jars that are used by tomcat. We currently get the .tar.gz and expand it -
but it would be faster to just get what we need.

If this happens for other releases - that would be great.

> 2. this is the binary directory in the mirrored release section, right?
> does this relate to the repository stuff (and if so, how?)?

Yes for the first, that's where all files ( and binaries like .jars)
should be distributed.

For the second - I have no idea :-), and I don't want to get into
any discussion about "repository". We do have a dist/ directory that
is mirrored and I think we all agree that's where the releases should be
placed. It does have some clear rules - including the binary/ directory.
And the .jars are clearly binaries. :-)

BTW, my understanding is that some symlinks are required to the "-current"
version. I would really appreciate if for the .jars we would use the
name of the jar without -current. ( for the symlink - the filename needs
to have the version). This will allow download with the full name or
the latest release - but avoid the need to rename in the second case.

Costin