On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> FYI, I have received a spam/virus email apparently from someone
> @apache.org, and I also got a virus scanner response at my @apache.org
> address, indicating that some weird message has been sent with
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] as the originator.
>
> If anyone wants to investigate further I have stored the messages, but
> I don't think there's much that can be done about it.

There's nothing - it's the same ol Sircam virus, using email addresses
found in web page caches, etc.

You wouldn't believe how many are being caught on their way to apache.org
addresses; my spamfilter also catches messages bearing this virus.
Thousands per day.  Hundreds alone to people like myself, Roy, Ralf, and
many jakarta mailing lists.

Many of the messages do not have attachments, though, oddly enough, and
those aren't caught.  I don't see a reliable pattern to match them on; I
don't want to block all messages that say "Approved" for example.  :)

        Brian