Dirk-Willem van Gulik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Sure - _if_ patent offices in europe are as bad/careless as in the
> US and _if_ cost recovery is made harder and _if_ the originality
> clase is swept under the table and _if_ the courts turn the table so
> that proving prior art suddenly becomes expensive in the EU.. then
> it may have an adverse effect on open source.. But then again - that
> is a lot of 'if's. And one can even see ways for Open Source to
> protect itself using EU patents linked to its own prior art at very
> low cost - and using that outside the EU to protect itself.

> Lets save these loud ASF statement/actions things for issues which
> _directly_ affect the ASF work.

Guess it's a moot point, because we're doing it, but I think it's good
to be "proactive" in this case.  This puts free software in a stronger
bargaining position - maybe they will pass the law the same, but
hopefully they will keep us in mind when setting things up.  Better to
start making noise now rather than when some future SCO-like company
tries to make a quick buck off of us.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/