At 12:44 PM 8/26/2003, Danny Angus wrote:

>If anyone's counting a show of hands here I'm a European and +1 to opposing
>software patents in Europe and +1 to the ASF supporting the demo.

I will say that I'm pleased the members were able to turn the ship so quickly
to support the initiative, it shows exactly how far from lethargy our community
is, even near the end of summer.

I should point out though that ASF support of the protest is a bit odd.
We are a US Delaware charitable corporation bound by (primarily) US law
and patents (and US patent treaty obligations.)

When the topic of US patent reform comes up (the insanity that has led to
issues such as the .gif file format, SCO v.s. the world, etc) that we most
carefully consider a position and reflect that in our activites.  There are very
stringent lobbing restrictions on the charitable corporation, but that does
not mean we cannot have any positions (consider the various cancer
foundations' support of anti-smoking efforts.)

One thing I do not want from the foundation is a double standard applied
to our positions on US v.s. Euro patents.

Bill