Noel J. Bergman wrote:

What about starting by making sure Apache java projects _do_ work
with the 2 open source JVMs that are mentioned in the
article ?  That would be a statement, much better than "we like open
source java, but our software doesn't run on it because it doesn't
really matter".

Nobody has been stopping you from proposing an incubation project about this.

Why would it be an incubation?

Because all new project have to go thru incubation to get up to speed.

What new project?  I didn't see one.  I don't think Geir saw one.  All I saw
was a notion that existing projects would test with other JVMs.  This could
be done by each project that cares to do it, and perhaps GUMP could do it
for all.

And, by the way, outside projects enter the ASF through the Incubator.  I
don't believe that anyone has ever said that if, for the sake of argument,
Cocoon wants to build a new Flash-based webapp framework, that it needs to
start it in the Incubator.

Did I miss a memo?

No, you are both right, it's me misunderstanding Costin's comments.

Apologies, I need a brain transplant soon.

--
Stefano.