Niclas Hedhman wrote:

Hi,

At Avalon we have a small problem.

Phoenix has ceased to be actively developed, and an external fork has occurred driven by the previous Phoenix developers, called Loom at CodeHaus, and users who needs help with Phoenix are directed to the Loom project.

Now, what do we do with the Phoenix codebase in ASF??

GUMP makes this apparent. When changes are made in CVS in projects that Phoenix depends on, we will receive Nags. These are of three types;
1. Temporary and will disappear by themself.
2. Incompatible change in other project, by mistake or un-awareness.
3. Permanent Incompatible change. 1.0 -> 2.0

By upgrading Phoenix to these changes, seems fairly meaningless.

Killing the Gump descriptor seems like the most logical thing to do, but that would affect projects that depends on it (or other similar cases), James in this case, I think.

Should there be a notion of "Compost", "Graveyard" or "Retirement Home" for projects that has outlived their community?

There was a lot of discussion about this at the time of the incubator's birth. It was suggested that anything related to 'death' was a bad idea.

JServ is, for example, in dead from a community point of view, yet many people use it in production. JServ is now located at archive.apache.org.

If the avalon project feels like discontinuing phoenix, I think you just require a PMC vote and then require infrastructure to seal the CVS repository and put it in the archive.

--
Stefano.