Cutting a release jar/tarball is an individual act, regardless of
the person's status as being a committer, on the PMC, or an Apache
member. Because none of us are employees, we do not have the right
to make acts on behalf of the ASF (the only exception is ASF officers,
who are granted that right within the scope of their job description).

That is why all releases must be voted on and receive a minimum of
three binding +1s (and a majority of overall votes) before the
release can be made public: it is that vote which makes it a decision
of the PMC, and hence a decision by the ASF.  The ASF is only capable
of protecting people from suits directed against the distributor
when the ASF is the entity that made the decision to distribute.
Note, however, that *damages* associated with copyright are tied to
the act of distribution, so that is a significant benefit obtained
by following the ASF's release procedures.

At the same time, it is very hard for people who might want to sue
an individual (e.g., as an attempt to prevent that individual from
contributing to one of our projects) to do so on the basis that
the ASF violated their copyright -- instead, they would have to
sue the individual for some identifiable act of copying from the
expression (code) to which they own copyright and prove that their
contribution to the ASF was illegal.  That is not an easy thing to do,
makes them vulnerable to countersuits, and requires that they prove
that individual's act was responsible for some quantifiable damages.
[In the US, the last part was changed by the DMCA, but I have no
idea how far or if it could ever be applied in court aside from
cases where the original copy is a trade secret and making a single
copy is sufficient in itself to cause damage.]

Anyway, that is the theory of how it works.  IANAL and this has
never been tested in practice, but at the time we were particularly
concerned about individual volunteers being ripe targets for a large
company to bring legal action against, solely for the sake of
derailing a popular project.  Forcing such a company to bring suit
against the nonprofit reduces their chance of success, allows us
to defend ourselves collectively, and places the issue of
quantifiable damages on the shoulders of a corporate entity
rather than on our personal assets.

....Roy