On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 08:29, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > I know of no uses cases for what you're describing... do you have one?
>
> Two of them.
>
> 1) Common for a piece of taggable code to inherit something outside of its
> directory, usually either a super-build.xml, or a super-project.xml. It's
> hard to tag these when you tag the directory. This one is possible, but
> quite a pain in SVN. I had to checkout just my releases/ directory, then
> do manual copying. I suspect that it wasted diskspace on the server as it
> wasn't url-url.

Nope.  If there are no content differences, the Subversion repository
will do the most efficient thing and just copy the node (not the
contents).

> 2) I suspect others do this differently, but I've often released things
> from Jakarta Commons where we've not included a certain directory or bunch
> of files in the release because they're not ready yet. In this case, they
> shouldn't be tagged with that release either.

Fair enough.  Those two cases are a bit difficult to manage in
Subversion.

> One option here might be to branch the code, then delete from the branch
> the things you don't want. As branching and tagging seem to be the same
> thing in SVN, I suspect this would work. Process change.

Yes it would.

> Yep. I suspect the solution is to modify the development process when it
> has problems, but I think I heard something about subversion supporting a
> property-tagging system at some point in the future that would work much
> like CVS? This was 3rd hand information, and you'd know better :)

No clue what this is about.  Subversion does have the concept of
per-node (file or directory) metadata, and per-revision
metadata--they're called 'properties' and 'revision properties'
respectively.

See the section on Properties in the Subversion book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch07s02.html

-Fitz