Ian Holsman wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> I am talking purely about the technical issue of people being
>>> unable to download the software from mirrors.playboy.com.  I
>>> am not talking about the logo/link to playboyenterprises.com.
>> Would a mirrors.playboyenterprises.com domain be less technically
>> problematic?  Is that also widely blocked, or just *.playboy.com?
> why should we force a dontator to change their domain for us?

I'm not quite sure how you interpreted my question to be a demand that
someone change a domain name.  However, if they want to be a mirror and *IF*
their domain is widely blocked, thereby rendering the service ineffective,
they might well be willing to add an entry into their DNS, so that
mirrors.playboy.com and mirrors.playboyenterprises.com are the same place.

> we could always create a set of DNS names which we use to refer to our
> mirrors like kde

We could use CNAME RR so that we don't have to change our zone whenever
someone's IP changes, but Justin has explained some of the downsides.  And
it won't help if they are blocked by IP (firewall) instead of domain name
(DNS).

        --- Noel