On Oct 12, 2006, at 1:35 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

o Should students be given more development resources than non- committers?

-1

This goes a bit in hand with the previous discourse on patches. This could quickly degrade into a procedural firefight, but it does sorta irk me that we expect people to give us code, but don't give them adequate tools to do it. If I ever applied for a job somewhere and they told me the only tools I had for submitting code were diff and JIRA, I'd hazard to say I wouldn't be at that job very long. There's something of a culture of earning the right to commit, and for the main codebase I'd say it's warranted. For a throw away branch, however, it seems to me like an unnecessary hurdle that we put in the way of students completing their work.

No firefight - there is simply no other way to build karma on an open source project. And the fact that one of our projects was done with no community involvement simply sucks.

Andrus