----- Original Message ----

Eh, no.  That's exactly how Linux works, with people having protective attitudes
towards their own trees: git only makes that mode of working easier.  Here a
committer's job is to *facilitate* inclusive work, not prevent it.

>  Everyone else gets a "working
> copy" and is  expected to create a patch (or patches) and then work to
> convince a committer  to apply them.

That's not the Apache model, fwiw.  Collaboration means you work as equals,
committer status or not.

> A distributed version control system is a measure toward  eliminating
> that have/have not distinction; it reduces the barrier to  contribution.

No it doesn't.  The learning curve alone is a barrier to its adoption.
It just means you have the same access to the history as anyone else,
and can develop on branches with far greater ease.  Github is the great
new thing here, not git itself.  If github were open source we'd probably
be using it at Apache already in some form.

> Instead of a working copy you get a full working  repository.
> Contributors can have long running branches where they work on  large
> features while easily keeping in sync with upstream changes.   And  when
> the contributor repos are public, others can follow their progress  and
> provide feedback and collaborate.
>
> If useful changesets that are  languishing in random repositories and are
> not making it upstream, that is a  social problem, not a technical one.

Yes, but that just begs the point: this thread is about the social implications
of the choice of vc tool, and the aforementioned author of the blog post
seems to think forking in all its forms is a good idea for societies.
Somehow I doubt that's the case.