On 9/23/10 7:13 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
On Sep 23, 2010, at 1:07 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:

But I see also extra advantages, probably more related to the fact I'm working
on an ASF project :
- First of all, and it may perfectly well be specific to France, a country
where people value diplomas, and other things like 'he wrote a book on the
subject !', being an ASF developer help you to get a social status in the
development team you are working in. In other words, you are likely to be a
star (that always puzzled me because I'm not better than I was before starting
working on an OSS project, or slightly (thanks to what I have learned at the
ASF !), and also because I was certainly not better than many of my co-workers
who are not involved in OSS).
I was just talking with a friend yesterday, and fellow committer, who said he
is a much better programmer since contributing.  Of course, it makes sense.  If
your underwear is on display for all to see, you sure better make sure it is
clean!

Let me pick a better word than 'better' to express exactly what I had in mind when I wrote my sentence : 'talented'. Sure, I learned a lot and I'm a better coder now, but that does not make me more talented :)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,