On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 09:22:57PM +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:
> This is an interesting question. I was recently asked to help with
> exactly this issue and I also struggled.

Perhaps we might consider working up an example policy ourselves?

It is in the interest of the ASF to make it as easy as possible for companies
to contribute to our projects.  Creating a company open source policy has a
cost.  If we provide a template policy that is rock solid with regards to
using and contributing to ASF projects at the least -- and hopefully open
source at large -- we can bring that cost down.

In addition, if a company adopts the sample policy verbatim, it becomes easier
for a candidate to assess whether they would be happy there.

I can see a "web startup" with a limited budget taking the easy route and
adopting an ASF-crafted open source policy verbatim.

I don't know, though -- I'm just an ASF committer on an Incubator project, so
I don't know whether any part of the ASF, if any, would take on such a project
or in what form.

> Here's what I told the company that asked me about this:
>
> A healthy policy would look like the outline you describe, some (off the
> top of my head) statements that would be appropriate are:

Presumably this "outline" described procedures for obtaining clearance from
management to work on open source projects?

> - we will honour all trademarks policies and licences relating to the
> projects

This is more challenging than it sounds!  The participating employees have to
recieve sufficient training and guidance to execute the policy cleanly.

Marvin Humphrey