On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 7:29 AM, akshay khatri <akshaykhatri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I wanted to get into Apache development. Though I am looking into various
> projects and looking what interests me.
> But I wanted to put in some views that I have noticed:
> 1) I didn't find any IRC channel for apache

Some ASF projects use IRC, mostly in irc.freenode.net, but in general
we are too geographically distributed for IRC to make a great deal of
sense. This list is your point of contact for getting started, project
lists are the place to find people to help you in specific activities,
etc.

> 2) It is good that mailing list is one of the prime means to communicate in
> Apache but I feel that lack of IRC or active blog roll would have been
> great. As mailing list isn't supposed to chat with fellow developers,
> sharing ideas (other than development)
> Or is it that in Apache familiarizing with people happen only if you live
> close by or know each other in prior ? (or no discussion other than
> development is required/allowed among people )

All of this is available, if you look into http://apache.org, the
foundation blog is right on the first page, there is also planet
apache at http://planet.apache.org/ and various projects have their
own blogs.

> 3) I just saw that GSoC results were out, but didn't find any
> email/blog/news from apache about the same.
> 4) As a prospective student, I was looking to familiarize with other
> students all over Apache, but again no mode of communication to them  and I
> strongly believe that there wouldn't be any correspondence between
> student/developers among various apache projects.
> ( IRC is really a great thing for that and I believe a community today
> should have IRC culture to grow )
> These were just my inputs, only aiming to know other people.
> Just an example of what I am feeling: Fellow students/developers/gsoc
> students please email me personally so that I may know you better.(and let
> it go to thousands of busy persons over there)
> Thanks

The Apache Software Foundation is an umbrella for lots of projects,
which are run by their respective PMCs, thus, things are not really
centralized except for small pieces like infrastructure, community,
etc. As for GSoC, have you actually tried the GSoC students list ?
That would be your best bet and could even allow you to met other
local GSoC students.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende