On Thursday 11 January 2007 19:56, Atlasz wrote:
> > significantly less bulky and likely cheaper than assembling these
> > components 'by hand'. As somebody mentioned, it could be in a form of
> It can be done
> and the components are not expensive. But it's not for everybody and
> takes some time to make it working and look somehow at the same time.

Exactly, that's why I said that _assembling_ the whole stuff would be cheaper,
not the components :) Not to mention the bulk/QoM factor. Only a handful of
people would likely venture to do such a thing by themselves (even with part
lists and PCB sketches), and while it would likely get on hw-hack-of-the-day
or even slashdot, it would IMHO likely make zero impact on global OpenMoko
and/or Neo1973 acceptance even among developers. That's where a hardware
vendors support comes handy - as you yourself said you would consider it even
if you could build it yourself (same goes for the whole OpenMoko story, it's
not about the pretty high number of linux/hw hackers, who could, in theory,
given enough time, make a linux powered/assisted GSM phone, but about the
uncomparably lower number of people who actually DID invest their experience,
time and last but not least, money, to bring this project to life).